Hi! I'm Jennifer Davis - a musician, teacher, and Jesus lover!

Monday, February 3, 2014

#3 Hit a deer with the school excursion on the way to an honor band concert

Guess what?  Another field trip.  This time we were headed to Alva, Oklahoma for an honor band concert.  I only had two or three students in this honor band so we took one of the school's excursions.  It was a cold January Saturday morning in Northwest Oklahoma. I was enjoying the scenic drive north, and the students were trying to wake up.  All was tranquil until... a deer ran onto the road.  I yelled something like "no, no, no," and some other choice words! A good-sized doe hit its head on the right side of the bumper and then its body slammed into the passenger side door.  Luckily, the excursion sits high enough off the ground, we were fine...but the passenger door had seen better days.

One of my students said, "Good job Miss Davis, that was a real clean hit!."  This was partly in jest, because his family had previously taught me how to shoot, taken me deer hunting a few times, but I still had never shot one!  I don't remember whether it was his idea or mine, but we called his Dad and asked him to come get the deer.  My student jumped out of the vehicle in his nice concert dress clothes and pulled the deer over to the side of the road.

We made it to the concert without further incident.  A few months later we all enjoyed some deer jerky from that doe during band class! Moral of the story?  If ife gives you lemons, make lemonade.  If life dents your excursion door with a nice doe, make deer jerky! In all seriousness though, one of the things I enjoyed most about teaching my students in Mooreland, Oklahoma was their ability to think creatively and outside the box!

"For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer. So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."  1 Timothy 4:5, 1 Corinthians 10:31


No comments:

Post a Comment